Terms & Conditions
BlackChain Technologies - TUESDAY, 07 July 2020
1. The name of the competition is “AFROBOTICS CHALLENGE”.
2. The competition commences on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and direct Emails on 20 July 2020 and ends 30 September 2020.
3. This competition is brought to you by BlackChain Technologies (Pty) Ltd .
Application and interpretation:
• Participation in this competition (“Challenge”) is subject to these terms and conditions
(“Terms and Conditions”) and any person participating in this Challenge agrees to be bound
by these Terms and Conditions.
For the purposes of these Terms and Conditions:
• “Promoter” means BlackChain Technologies (Pty) Ltd ;
• “BlackChain Technologies” and “Afrobotics” means the Promoter and any party that the
Promoter directly or indirectly controls or is controlled by;
• The Competition will run from 00:00 on 20 July 2020 until 23:59 on 30 September 2020
after which date the Competition will automatically terminate and no further entries will be
• In addition to any other rights contained in these Terms and Conditions, the Promoter
reserves the right to terminate or curtail the period of the Competition (without incurring any
liability to any entrant) at any time with immediate effect by publishing a notice to that effect
on and/or its social media pages and each entrant waives any claim it
may have arising out of that termination.
• Similarly, the duration of this Competition may be extended at the sole discretion of the
Promoters. If this is the case, the Promoters will provide notice of this on the website and/or
social media pages.
• This Competition is open to all South Africans of the age 16 years or older.
• No members, employees, directors, agents, or consultants of the Promoter (or, any of their
immediate families) may enter this Competition.
• The winner will need to have a valid South African bank account in order to receive the
cash deposit of R150,000.00 (one hundred and fifty thousand rand only).
• The cash prize is R150,000.00 and should be used to fund the winner’s project.
• In addition, the winner also receives a one-year scholarship with a globally recognized
• Lastly, the winner will receive access to mentorship in their respective field of interest as
determined and arranged by the Promoter.
• Entries containing any profanity, rudeness or any content considered inappropriate by the
Promoter (in its reasonable discretion) will be disqualified from the draw and removed from
the competition comments section.
• Prizes cannot be redeemed for cash in part or whole, and are non-refundable;
non-exchangeable and non-transferable.
• Prizes cannot be exchanged for an alternative prize and no negotiations will be entered
• Winners shall be notified via the Afrobotics website page as well as direct email.
Winners must claim their prize by:
• Supplying their correct contact details including a South Africa bank account (for transfer
of the cash prize) and other details required (e.g. copy of national ID book or passport) in
order for the Promoter to award the prize, by directly emailing , within
thirty (30) days after being notified that they are a winner.
Once these details have been provided, the Promoter will contact the winner to confirm
transfer of the cash prize.
• Should the winner fail to provide contact details or bank details after 3 attempts, the winner
shall forfeit the prize.
• The Promoters reserve the right to replace the offer with one of equal value.
To enter, participants must:
● Click on the tab that says "Register"
● Create a profile by following the prompts
● Once completed, select "Register" at the bottom of the page
The participant will receive an email confirming that their profile has been successfully
The confirmation email will also have their login details which they will need to upload their
When they are ready to submit their project details, the participant must go to
● Use their login details to enter the site
● Head to the "Submission" portal
● Follow the prompts to submit their project details
● Should the participant require more time to submit an entry, they can select the
"Save" option and come back at a later stage to complete the submission.
● Once they have completed all the required sections on the submissions page and
are ready to submit an entry, select the "Submit"option
The participant will receive an email confirming their successful entry into the Afrobotics
Our panelists will assess all of the submissions and the shortlisted candidates will be
contacted via email.
Should you be contacted, the next step will be the Presentations round. This is a series of
video interviews where participants will be asked questions about their project. They will
present to a panel of judges for further assessment.
The Finalists, similarly, will be contacted via email for the final round and a winner will be
chosen from this last stage.
• Incorrect and/or incomplete entries will not be considered.
• No entries by post or any other form will be accepted..
• The Promoters reserve the right to replace the offer with one of equal value.
● The Promoter of this Competition reserves the right to amend these Terms and
Conditions at any time by publishing a notice to that effect on
and/or its social media pages.
• Winners’ details may be displayed on the website at , and other
Afrobotics social media and marketing platforms.
● Any entrant may refuse to participate in any marketing or having their image used
by the Promoter by notifying the promoter thereof in writing.
● In the event of a dispute, the decision of the Promoter will be final and binding and
no correspondence will be entered into.
● Entrants who, in the Promoter’s sole determination, act unlawfully, fraudulently, in
breach of these Terms and Conditions or otherwise dishonestly may be disqualified
from participating in the Competition and shall not be eligible to win any prize.
● If the winner/s fail/s to comply with any of these rules or the terms of acceptance of
the prize/s, or if the winner/s unreasonably refuse/s to sign the winner/s declaration
and prize acceptance form, the winner/s will be disqualified and will forfeit the prize.
● The right of admission into the competition rests solely with the Promoters.
● Entries which contain errors will be considered invalid.
● Not all entrants are guaranteed winners. The winner will be selected by a panel of
judges at the end of the competition period and will be contacted by the Promoters.
They will also need to supply a valid South African bank account in order to receive
the cash prize deposit.
● In the event that the winner cannot be contacted via their provided telephone
number (after three attempts) or have not replied to an email sent to the provided
email address within 5 working days of being drawn as a winner, the Promoters
reserve the right to select another entrant as a winner.
● These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by the laws of the Republic of South
Exclusions of liability and indemnity:
● Nothing in these Terms and Conditions is intended to, or must be understood to,
unlawfully restrict, limit or avoid any rights or obligations, as the case may be,
created for either the participant or the Promoter in terms of the Consumer
Protection Act, 68 of 2008 ("CPA").
● By entering the Programme in accordance with its terms, Participants acknowledge
that the Programme will be managed in accordance with the provisions of the CPA.
Qualifying participants hereby consent to and undertake to expeditiously do all
things necessary to enable the Promoters to comply with their obligations under the
CPA including, but not limited to providing and the use of such personal information
as may be required in order to facilitate handing over the prize.
● The Promoter is not liable for any technical failure that may result in an entry not
being successfully submitted.
● Any legitimate complaints regarding the Afrobotics website provided can be directed
to the Promoter.
● By entering the Competition and/or accepting any prize, the participants hereby
indemnify, release and hold harmless the Promoter including its subsidiaries,
holding companies and affiliates and their directors, employees, agents, suppliers
and contractors from and against any actions, claims and/or liability for injury, loss,
damage, expense, claims and/or damages of any kind resulting in whole or in part,
directly or indirectly, from participation in the Competition, and/or the use,
acceptance or possession of a prize, and/or participation (or non-participation) in a
prize -related activity.
● Without limiting any other exclusion provided for in these Terms and Conditions, the
Promoter will not be held liable for any harm or consequential loss as a result of use
of the prize.
All information is given in good faith but without guarantee in respect of accuracy. No responsibility is
accepted for errors or omissions or the consequences thereof.